Hello and happy happy Friday!! I am linking up again with my girls: Farrah from Fairyburger, Montana from Pretty Lil Mudder, Emily from Whatever Floats Your Oats and Annmarie from the Fit Foodie Mama and Cassandra from Powered by BLING!! Today’s theme is Comfort Foods!!
It has been a chilly week! Much chillier than normal for this time of year in Houston! Last year it was in the 80s and this past week it has been in the 30s and 40s. Not as cold as some of my friends and family up north, but cold for here! With it being so chilly, I brought out some recipes that are wonderful on a cold night. A new one that I have been experimenting with is a chicken pot pie!
I happened upon a gluten free crust a few weeks ago when I was at Whole Foods and decided to try it out!
Since I am allergic to onions and I am not a big fan of celery, I used a different mix of veggies than most pot pies!
Chicken Pot Pie
2 boneless/skinless chicken breast
1 TBS coconut oil
1 red pepper chopped
3 large carrots chopped into coins
1 cup green beans
1.5 cups broccoli chopped
3 cups chicken broth
2 TBS butter
3 TBS flour
1/3 cup milk
Salt and pepper
1 pie crust (If you are brave, you can make from scratch!!)
1 pie crust top
Aluminum foil or a pie crust shield.
1. Preheat oven to 375*
2. Pour 1.5 cups chicken broth into a pan. Add the carrots, green beans and broccoli. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 min.
3. Chop chicken into small cubes. Cook in a frying pan with coconut oil. Add the red pepper and cook till the chicken is no longer pink on the inside, about 10 minutes.
4. Strain the vegetables out of the broth and add to the chicken/red pepper mixture.
5. Melt the butter in a large saucepan. Add the flour and wisk together. Slowly add the milk and wisk as the sauce thickens.
6. Add the remaining chicken broth slowly as the sauce continues to thicken.
7. Add the chicken and veggie mixture to the sauce and let simmer for 5-10 min. Add salt and pepper to taste.
8. Pour mixture into the pie crust. (I used the extra as a little soup for another meal)
9. Slowly unroll the top crust. Place it gently on top of the pie. Trim off the edges. Pinch the top and bottom crust together. Make several small slits on the top crust.
10. Cover the edges of the pie with aluminum foil strips or a pie crust shield.
11. Place pie on a cookie sheet and place in the oven. Bake for 30-40 min.
12. Take the foil or shield off and cook for 10 more min till the top is golden brown.
Take a moment and go see all the other amazing ladies recipes!!!
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Montana | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Emily | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Cassandra | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin
Feel free to add your fav comfort food recipe to the link up!