16 in 16 & a training update

Hello friends!  If you are here from the blog hop and/or her for the first time, welcome!  I am so glad to have you!  I am honored to once again be a part of the blog hop that Kristy from Runaway Bridal Planner put together.  Three cheers for Kristy! Hip, Hip, Hooray!
Grow Your Blog Image 6
If you missed my post from the last hop, you can check it out and learn a few more facts about me.

I have really enjoyed getting to meet new bloggers and see some familiar faces on this hop!

It has been a crazy few weeks in my real life.  If you missed some of the news, you can see it here & here.

We are only in month 2 of 2016, but I feel I have already learned a lot.  My goal the rest of the year is to take what I have learned and make changes, accept the facts, and continue to be the best me I can be.

So 16 things I have learned (or rediscovered) in 2016 (so far)…

1. My need for things to be organized.  I have always been more of a neat person, but when life happens, my organization seems to be put on the back burner.  I was invited by some friends to participate in a 30 day cleaning/organizing challenge.  Even though I have not been able to participate each day, I have made some major headway on several areas of my life/home!  My heart feels happy when things are clean and organized! Plus I discovered a bunch of clothes I forgot about 😉
  2. I feel I am reminded of this each year…but really hits home during challenging times, who my true friends are. Friends who don’t care what I look like, but who care about and for my heart!  I am forever grateful for these friends, and it is my goal to be this kind of friend too!
    img_7669
  3. A greater appreciation for my husband and how he loves & cares for me.
    img_6911
  4. I left part of my heart in Costa Rica. {This is not a new discovery, but just a reminder to myself that I can be 2 places at once…at least in my heart}
    img_4865
  5. I am learning to love yoga…and to not be so scared to try new moves!  {But I am still trying to find a REALLY good mat that won’t fall apart after a few weeks and also won’t cost a ton! Any tips appreciated!!}
    img_7534
  6.  Pinterest hair designs for little kiddos…I really don’t know why I am late to the party on this one, but I have been having fun with all the little girl hair designs I get to do!
  7. After struggling with insomnia for YEARS, I finally found something that works for me!  A friend suggested this recipe to me! I was missing one ingredient, and I added one of my own, but this little gem is AMAZING!  I literally can be asleep in 5 min after putting this on! img_7684
  8. I have really been enjoying eating some all fruit/veggie meals lately, especially when it is go-go-go!
  9.  I might have put all the Christmas decorations away on Dec 26th in 2015 (to make room for a new couch), but this message just has to stay up year round! {And props to my hubby who thought I made it…I wish.}
    img_7415
  10. I have never been a fan of plastic bags at the grocery store.  My sweet friend Candace introduced me to THESE, and they are a lifesaver! Plus they look really cute 😉
    img_6885-1
  11. Trying new recipes from other awesome bloggers after I pin them…It has been turning out rather deliciously!
    img_7568
  12. My elephant collection keeps growing…thanks to my husband!
  13.  I still am not that great with grief.  I am working on facing that better this year as I remember several sweet friends I lost in 2015.
    img_6722-1
  14. Lifting weights and working on my form has caused me to get stronger {logical, yet I was missing the beat before}
    img_6671
  15. As this is National Eating Disorder Awareness Week, I feel it is my opportunity to share!  I am a survivor! I have been in solid recovery for the past 8 years(!!) after battling for more than 20! If you have any concerns or are struggling, or know someone who struggles, please reach out. You are WORTH fighting for, and for getting any help needed! NEDA has a great website with tools, and although I am not an expert, I am willing to share with you what I have learned from my experience!
    img_7656-1
  16. One wonderful point that I have rediscovered yet again is the amazing blogging community!  I am so thankful to be a part of such a wonderful group of people! You all make my heart smile and I love reading about your life adventures!  Thank you for including me on your journeys!

img_7028
Just a bit of a training update real quick as I join up for the Wild Workout Wednesday link-up with Annmarie from The Fit Foodie Mama, Angelena Marie from  Angelena Marie: Happy, Healthy & Balanced , Michelle at Fruition Fitness  and Nicole from Fitful Focus for another workout recap!  Feel free to add to the link up and join in the fun!
wwwimg_1700

My next race is in 10 days!  Eek! I officially changed from the half marathon to the 5k.  I know that pushing myself would have only done harm to my hip and now foot, and it would not have been the PR I am seeking this year! So even though I am still somewhat disappointed, I am thankful that I can still race! And my dr is happy with my choice, so I guess there is that 😉
I had a REALLY great workout week last week! I would say it was probably the best week of workouts I have had in a long time.
img_7128

Monday- Piyo and Zumba
Tuesday- Zumba and 6 mile bike recovery
Wednesday- Body pump and yoga
Thursday- Body pump
Friday- Piyo
Saturday- Full REST! I even got a 2 hour nap!
Sunday- 3.5 elliptical recovery miles

I have been able to do Body Pump 2-3 times a week as well as a yoga class 2-3 times a week and I have been able to see a difference in my strength, confidence and stamina!

Thank you for taking time to read so much today!  Can’t wait to see you all on Friday for Foodie Friday!  It is national pancake week so stay tuned for some awesome pancakes!

QOTD: What is something that 2016 has taught you?

Be filled with joy and health!
img_6443-1

70 thoughts on “16 in 16 & a training update

1. triandtrue

Wow, love the 16 lessons! That’s a lot of learning in 2 months! Way to listen to your body and downgrade from half marathon to 5K. It’s hard but better in the long run! Good luck!

2. Kim Hatting

What a great post! “16 in ’16” is a great idea 😉 Yeah, about Pinterest….I wish that would have been around when my girls were younger (and still let me do their hair). Gosh, it would have been fun!

3. Melissa

Oh, I like your bags! (#10) I’m going to have to get some of these!
    I always love hearing that people discover how helpful strength training is to their workout regime (especially runners)! Keep it up! Body pump twice a week is awesome!
    Way to be smart about your race! Good luck!

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Thank you!! Love me some Vera Bradley! It’s a slight addiction 😜 I lost count on the number of bags I have…from small makeup bags to the larger travel bags. My advice is hit up the sales on the website! Great deals!
      I love weights! I’m so thankful my schedule this year has allowed for multiple BP classes a week!
      Thanks! I will recap it in early March 🙂

4. Melissa

I love your bags in #10! I need some of these!
    It’s always great to hear when people discover how beneficial strength training is, especially runners! Keep it up!
    Way to be smart about your race. Good luck!

5. Lesley

It’s never fun to downgrade a race, but I think it’s the smart decision. And I’m with you and a tough 2016 already. January was a good month, but almost all of February has been difficult.

6. Josephine

can you come organize my house please? 😉 also Costa Rica… I feel you, ever since I left (like 10 years ago) I’ve been thinking about when/how I could get back, might be 5 year wedding anniversary trip or 10… also good luck on your race

7. HoHo Runs

It’s good to see you in the hop! (We’ve missed you on the Weekly Wrap.) I love your colorful fruits and veggies. I always think “eat your colors” at every meal. I didn’t have girls, so I never could do girl hair — even my own. I’m very impressed with your hair designs. I hope your hip and foot get better. Good luck on your upcoming 5k.

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Thank you!! I missed being there. Should be back on Monday 🙂
      Eat the rainbow all day 🙂
      Funny thing, I’m TERRIBLE at my own hair…messy bun 99/100 days! Lol
      Thank you! Will be sharing the recap in March!

8. Chaitali

I’m coming over from the blog hop and it’s great to learn a bit more about you 🙂 I’m sorry you’re having a hard couple weeks but I hope things get better. That organization is seriously impressive, and I love those hair designs!

9. Rachel @ RachelMcMichael.com

You are such an encourager and such an INSPIRATION!!! I loved reading your 16 in 16 – I love staying organized, and I (obviously) love all things Pinterest! So sorry to hear about your tough January and February. Thank you for always staying so positive!!!

10. Tricia@MissSippiPiddlin.com

Wow you are very talented with the hair braids! I do really good to just do my pig tails! Seeing you organize your spaces like the closet is something I so need to do! I started but then quit. I hate being a quitter. Even with just the little bit I did I felt so accomplished, but I’ve got to finish! I don’t really have any sleep problems but wow this sleep cream has me intrigued! It’s nice to see you again from Kristy’s hop and yes we have been missing you in the Weekly Wrap, I do hope you’ll join us soon Esther!

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Aww thank you! I’m great doing hair on others but not me! Haha, I live with a messy bun in my hair!
      You can do it!! It always seems to look worse before it gets better. I literally pulled everything from my closet so I was forced to deal with it. 😜
      The sleep cream is so yummy! Even if I didn’t have sleep issues, it smells so delish I would still put it on 🙂
      I’ve missed the wrap but will be back on Monday!

11. fitfoodiemama

Love all of this!! Reading it inspired me to try out some organization tips, give that cream a try and maybe even play around with some hairstyles on my daughter…if she will sit still! 🙂

12. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets

Really nice to get to know you a little bit better! Congratulations on your survival, that is a huge accomplishment and I wish you the best. You had a great week of working out – even though you had to downgrade your race (which was probably the smartest move), I hope you have fun and do great!

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Thank you!! I’m so grateful!
      Those awesome workout weeks don’t always happen perfectly like that, so I am even more excited when they do!
      I’m so glad I was able to downgrade. And I know my hip will thank me! I’m joining some friends from my MRTT group for a fun walk/jog! 😉

13. Rachael Novello

ED is a constant battle do kudos to you for your on-going recovery! I am 32 weeks pregnant and have been battling the worst insomnia (anything unlike I can remember having with my son). I am just getting into using essential oils (Young Living specifically) so am absolutely going to try the scrub you made (would you mind sharing the recipe?) I am what my husband likes to call an organizational oxymoron. I am SUPER organized when it comes to my business but when it comes to my house … man it’s a mess! I’ve tried a million times and just can’t keep it straight! Haha! I’m always amazed at people that can do ANYTHING Pinterest-y and the fact that you are able to do it to your daughters hair is absolutely amazing!!

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

You are so right! And thank you! I’m so grateful I have been able to come this far!
      Insomnia is the worst! My YLEOs have helped me a lot though! I’m no expect but if you ever have any questions, let me know 🙂
      The recipe should be linked in the post, but I can also send you exactly what I did when I get on my computer 🙂
      Oh if people saw my office they would put me on the Hoarders show! Organization is def a work in progress!
      I’m shocked half the time when I do things off Pinterest! Haha
      The little hair model is one of the twins I nanny for! Good practice in many ways for when I have kids 🙂

14. runawaybridalplanner

Not a lot of runners have the common sense to downgrade on a race they have been planning to help them recover in other ways, so kuddo’s to you for having the strength to do that!!! Good luck in 10 days, I bet you’ll have a great time!!!!
    Some parts of my life are super organized, and then there are other parts that are in terrible need of organization, LOL I am a work in progress:)
    Oh and can I just say, you are super talented I could never pull off those hair do’s on kids, great job!!!

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Thank you so much! You are right! I have many friends who have been injured and still raced only to be further injured!
      Ha I am also a work in progress with organization! It ebbs and flows depending on my crazy schedule. My office remains my nemesis! Lol
      Aww thank you! I can do hair on others but for me it’s pretty much a messy bun or a braid! Haha

15. Fitnessmomwinecountry

Esther, I love finding hair designs on pinterest. Sounds good you changed the half marathon to a 5k, do what you know your body needs. 🙂

16. Darlene

So nice to meet you. I wish I could be half as organized as you.

Good luck on your upcoming race.

So far 2016 has taught me that not having goals is much more fun. I an going to enjoy running this year rather than trying for PRs.

17. Sun

It sounds like 2016 has been a very eventful year so far! I hope things improve in the upcoming weeks and best of luck at the half marathon! All of your fruit and veggie meals look delish – so colorful!

18. Amanda Edenfield

After reading this, I think we could totally be IRL friends if we lived closer haha. I love that you do Bodypump and piyo! I teach PiYo 1-2x/week and am about to get BP certified. PiYo is my favorite class and it really kicks my butt!
    I started using Konmari to purge and organize my stuff recently. It feels so good to get rid of that extra clutter.

19. fitballingrunningmom

Hip, Hip, Hooray! Hip, Hip, Hooray! Hip, Hip, Hooray!

Cute idea 16 in 16…..love it!

Congrats on your solid recovery!!! AWESOME!!!

Sleep creme…..yes please!! Where do you but your ingredients?

Cute hair designs! I love pintrest for that. Gives me great ideas for my daughter’s hair.

Counting down my days to Costa Rica…..:)

Check out my review of a yoga mat. It is thick and a bit heavy but I love it and it has lasted since August.

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Aww thanks!
      I got the sleep cream ingredients from Amazon and Young Living. I will also be selling it soon from an Etsy shop 🙂
      Thank you! Good to have ideas for hair!
      And I will have to look at your yoga review! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

20. taleof2halfsblog

I love your 16 in 16! Those hair designs are so cute! I can’t wait for my daughters hair to get long enough to do fun things with! Very tough but smart decision on dropping down in distance. It’s so important to listen to your body!

21. Farrah

I am all about the planning ahead as well, and I love Costa Rica–I really hope I’ll get to go back there someday! (I only got to spend 3/4 a day there, and it definitely wasn’t enough!) This year is definitely going by weirdly fast. I love those hairstyles–they’re super cute! I need to learn how to do more hairstyles, haha.

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Plan, plan, plan!
      Oh yes, you need to get back to Costa Rica for sure…although no matter how much time I spend there, it is never enough!
      I need to learn how to do more hairstyles on myself. lol 🙂

22. Run Away With Me

Hello from the blog hop! I love the idea for this post. It’s awesome that you’re doing more yoga this year – I’m doing the same thing and I love it! I got my mat from my husband for Christmas and love it a lot – it’s made by Gaiam and seems to be holding up really well so far!

23. Ange

I’m the same, I always feel better about life when my house and everything is organized, but it can be a challenge to stay on top of things when life happens.
    I’ve downgraded races a number of times and have never regretted it.

24. MB Jackson

great post and great job ! Good luck with the 5K I have one Saturday morning, they are tons of fun- in and out 🙂 Yoga has been a big game changer for me, I can really feel the strength I am developing, it is amazing!

25. Montana @ Pretty Lil Mudder

First off, hiiii! So glad to visit you again! I’ve missed getting to ‘chat’ back and forth online- life got super busy for me with the addition of a second job and blogging sort of fell by the wayside for a bit!

I’m glad you listened to your body and made the decision to switch to the 5k. It might have been a hard decision but it’s what was right for you at the time. I’m no stranger to making tough decisions like that.

I need to get better about actually trying what I pin on Pinterest. I swear I’ve pinned a zillion things and have barely made anything! I’m usually super organized except when it comes to blogging and social media! I’m so last minute with those things- I should get better at that too.

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Glad to see you again too!
      I hear ya! Life gets crazy at times!!
      I am glad I switched! There will always be another race!
      Ha, I am the same overall. I need to be better about actually using my pins!

26. Ellyn @ In Fitness and In Health

Hello! So great to connect with you through the hop! I love your “16 in 16” list. 🙂 Congratulations on your recovery – that’s amazing. Your workout week looks pretty intense – good for you! I have never tried a bodypump class, but I’ve been hearing such good things about them. I’ll have to try it sometime.

1. chocolaterunnergirl Post author

Wonderful to see you again in the hop also!
      Thank you! Amazing how much the year has already taught me 🙂
      Thank you! It has def been a challenging journey of recovery, but SO worth it!!
      That past workout week is usually my plan but I rarely actually make all my classes! It is fun when I do though.
      Body pump is so fab! You totally should try a class! 😉

27. acbrandt

2016 has taught me to plan my life in pencil. I’ve been thrown so many curveballs in the past 2 months that I can only imagine what the rest of the year is going to bring me!

28. Pingback: Spotlight Blog Hop Day- Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Protein Bar | chocolate runner girl