Happy Friday friends. Oh I’m so glad it is Friday. It was a bit of a rough week (more about all that soon) but made it through!
Something you may not know about me is that I was a vegetarian for several years. I have never been much of a meat eater to begin with, and one summer during jr high my sister and I decided to try it out. I ended up enjoying the lifestyle and stuck with it for a few years after that. I am not strictly a vegetarian any longer, but I do enjoy my veggies. I prefer them over meat most days. I married a huge meat eater, but he does let me cook vegetarian meals here and there 😉
October is vegetarian awareness month! Did you know there are different types of vegetarians?
- Ovo-vegetarian: Eats eggs but no dairy
- Lacto-vegetarian: Eats dairy but no eggs
- Lacto-ovo-vegetarian: Eats both dairy and eggs
- Pesco-vegetarian: Eats fish and seafood
This month we have been trying a few more vegetarian dishes than we normally have. I saw some other fun ideas on Dietitians on Demand.
- Visit your farmers’ market and buy local fruits and vegetables. This is a great way to give back to your community and also learn about the produce grown in your area seasonally.
- Go meat-free for the month of October. Give it a try! Meatless meals do not have to be taste-free! Research some new recipes online and even try some vegetables you’ve never heard of.
- Participate in Meatless Mondays. This is a better option for those not ready to fully commit to being meat-free. Try and spend only one full day a week without meat! Learn more here.
- Host a vegetarian potluck at work. Join us at Dietitians on Demand and host your own meat-free potluck! Our employees will each be bringing in an item containing at least one vegetable or fruit to share. Creativity is encouraged.
To celebrate this month we are kicking off this month of Foodie Friday with vegetarian recipes.
Butternut Squash Veggie Hash
- 1-1/2 butternut squash, peeled
- 1 red pepper, washed, cored and chopped into cubes
- 3 cups kale, washed and chopped into smaller pieces
- 1/2-1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 TBS avocado oil
- 1 clove of garlic minced
- Spices to taste- salt, pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, cumin
- Spiralize the butternut squash (if you don’t have a spiralizer, just slice & chop into cubes) (the link is not affiliate, just the one I have and enjoy using)
- Heat oil in a large pan and add the garlic.
- Once garlic browns, add the butternut squash and half of the broth.
- Cook squash for 5-7 min or until it begins to soften.
- Add in the red peppers and continue to cook.
- Add spices to taste more broth if needed to help the squash cook faster.
- Once the squash is fully softened, add the kale to wilt in.
- Once kale has wilted, serve and enjoy.
Make sure you check out all the amazing ladies and their awesome mouthwatering recipes!!
- Farrah | blog | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Annmarie | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Jess | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin‘
- Esther | blog | facebook | instagram | pinterest | twitter | bloglovin’
- Please link back to the co-hosts, and comment/share at least a couple other Foodie Friday posts! Don’t just leave your link and run away! :O
- Please only link up recipe posts!
- Join us next week for some Choctober themed recipes! It is gonna be amazing!!!
Be filled with joy and health!