Happy Friday Y’all!
Man, another week has flown by! It has been filled with workouts, fun with an awesome blog hop I am participating in, and some fun in the kitchen!
The weather has been AMAZING this week and I am so thankful after all the rain we received from hurricane Patricia! It actually dropped below 70 degrees a few mornings and I was even able to wear my Uggs! Hehe
Anywhoo, this week I am linking up once again with Farrah from Fairyburger, Annmarie from the Fit Foodie Mama, and Jess from Hello to Fit!! Our theme this week is cauliflower!
I have this random side story: So when I was growing up Cabbage Patch dolls were all the rage. I really wanted one but it was not in the budget for my parents with 4 little kids and my dad going to school. I really don’t know where it came from, but that Christmas I got a Cauliflower Kid! It came in a big green plastic leafy container. I remember using the container to store my other doll clothes. Maybe that sparked in me a love for cauliflower! I still have my doll but it is in storage, but I was able to find a pic online!
Source- In the 80s
I feel like cauliflower gets a bit of a bad rep. It isn’t really super pretty, and it for sure has no color (other than the leaves). Several weeks ago I was talking to a friend about how much I love cauliflower (I was that weird kid at birthday parties who actually ate the raw veggies…Ha) and all the awesome stuff you can do with it. I did a little more research and found out some cool stuff about cauliflower!
- Fights against cancer
- Helps heart health
- It is anti-inflammatory
- Has many vitamins and minerals
- Helps brain health
- Great source of fiber
- Full of antioxidants and phytonutrients
You can read more details about all of those fun facts here!
So as you can see, I have no problem devouring cauliflower when I can! I have made it into pizza crust, used it like rice, had it raw, and my 2 favorite ways I am going to share with you today!
Roasted & Mashed Cauliflower
- Whole cauliflower, cored and chopped into bite size pieces
- about 1/2 cup olive or coconut oil
- Pepper, paprika, garlic, Himalayan salt, garlic
- 1/2 TBS butter
- 1/8 cup chicken broth
- Preheat oven to 425* F
- Cover the bottom of a cookie sheet with olive oil.
- Place chopped cauliflower on the pan.
- Lightly sprinkle on spices
- Even mix the oil and spices on the cauliflower with your hands.
- Roast for 20-25 min.
If you so desired, turn roasted cauliflower into mashed cauliflower (a mashed potato substitute)
- Let roasted cauliflower cool slightly.
- Add cauliflower to a food processor.
- Pulse till cauliflower is mashed well.
- Add butter and chicken broth for taste and thickness.
It might not look so inviting, but it was AWESOME tasting! You could hardly tell the difference!
Make sure you check out all the amazing ladies and their awesome recipes!!
Do you have an awesome recipe you’d love to share? Link up with us on Fridays for our weekly Foodie Friday posts! (Co-hosted by Annmarie, Farrah, Esther + Jess.)
- Please link back to the co-hosts, and comment/share at least a couple other Foodie Friday posts! Don’t just leave your link and run away! :O
- Please only link up recipe posts! 🙂
P.S. Don’t forget to enter my Mighty Nut giveaway that ends on Sunday!